Transition into Adulthood for Youth with Disabilities: A Participatory Action Research Approach
This project will involve taking a participatory action research approach to developing a model for the transition to adulthood for youth with disabilities. This model will be based on capacity-building and community assets and resources.
Research activities will include:
- assembling an advisory and planning committee comprised of parents, youth, and service providers in the Hamilton community;
- holding a "Community Capacity Building" workshop, with the aid of John McKnight (from Northwestern University, Chicago);
- conducting an environmental scan to identify current resources;
- building a model for the transition to adulthood for youth with disabilities in Hamilton and seek funding to implement and evaluate this model; and
- evaluating the process and outcomes of this participatory-action research approach.
We hope to build a model of the transition of youth with disabilities to adulthood, and to obtain funding to implement and evaluate this model.
The Jack & Ina Pollock Foundation - $15,000 (2001-2002)