Legislation refers to those Acts or bodies or a body of law that codifies how a law operates and is used. Below we have listed a number of acts in Nunavut that address children and youth with a neurodevelopmental disorder and their families.

Government of Nunavut Website

Child and Family Services Act

Adoption Act

Guardianship and Trusteeship Act

Nunavut Child and Youth Representative Act

  • The government of Nunavut is proposing the development of a new Act to protect the well-being of children and youth in Nunavut


Policy is how legislation or a law is put into action. Social policies address issues of the health, safety, and wellbeing of the members of a particular society such as health care and education. Below we have listed a number of policies in Nunavut that address children and youth with a neurodevelopmental disorder and their families.

2012-2015 Government of Nunavut Business Plan

Case Management Services

The Healthy Children Initiative, Department of Education

  • This initiative provides both financial assistance to organizations and communities working with children, youth and their families and Supported Child Services which provides funding on an individual basis for children who need intensive support

Social Advocacy Office, Executive and Intergovernmental Affairs

  • Developed in 2009 from the Government of Nunavut Tamapta mandate to address the needs of vulnerable and marginalized groups in Nunavut

Nunavummi Disabilities Makinnasuaqtiit Society (NDMS) (Community Living)

  • P.O. Box 4212, Suite 105, 8 Storey Bldg, Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 1H0
  • Telephone: 867-979-2228
  • Toll Free: 1-877-354-0916
  • Email:

Active Living Alliance for Canadians with a Disability

  • The ALACD is a national alliance that promotes and supports individuals with disabilities to lead healthy and active lives
  • Call your local Recreation Coordinator to find out about programs available in your community
  • For further information email Meaghan Lister:

Income Support

Daycare Subsidy

  • This subsidy provides financial assistance to low income families to ensure access to affordable daycare

Respite Care Services

Residential Care

  • Delivered through Child and Family Services in the Department of Health and Social Services
  • Residential care services are available to individuals with a physical or mental illness who require daily assistance. Referral from a local social worker is required.